Back to Winning Ways

The New Saints 0

Wolves Women 3 (McQuilkin 16, Anslow 35, Perks 64)

Wolves Women progressed easily to the First Round Proper of the FA Women's Cup in an injury-affected game at The New Saints' Park Hall ground. The first injury came just two minutes into the fourth round qualifier as Laura McQuilkin collided with the TNS keeper who had to be substituted following a lengthy stoppage.

Wolves captain Anna Perks came close in the 14th minute, heading goalwards from McQuilkin's free-kick from the sideline. Then just two minutes later McQuilkin carried the ball from deep, playing a one-two with Quick on the edge of the box before finishing via the crossbar to put Wolves ahead.

The visitors were in the ascendency, and in the 18th minute Jade Cross won the ball on the edge of the box, passing to Jenni Anslow, pictured, whose shot was blocked. The rebound fell to Jade Sailsman who had two efforts well saved by the substitute keeper.

Anslow's free-kick on the half hour from the edge of the box went just over the bar before TNS headed over from a corner.

Wolves' persistence paid off in the 35th minute as Anslow's corner was set back to her. She cut in past the defender and sent the ball in off the post to send Wolves in at the break 2-0 up.

The second half saw Wolves continue to put on the pressure, and Sailsman came close just two minutes into the half with a strong shot which was well saved.

In the 52nd minute Jade Cross shot just wide after good work on the left with McQuilkin and Sailsman.

Then came the second long delay of the game as a TNS player was forced off with an ankle injury.

Wolves' defence were caught napping after the restart as TNS won the ball in the area and fired into the side netting.

Wolves won a corner in the 64th minute and Jade Cross's ball was headed on target by substitute Hattie James, but the keeper made a good save, sending the ball out for another corner. This time McQuilkin's corner was headed home by Perks to give the visitors a three goal advantage.

Dominique Luke could have made it four towards the end of the game, but her shot from midfield went straight to the keeper. It was a dominant but scrappy second half and Wolves managed to keep the ball and not concede to see them comfortably into the first round proper.

Manager Steve Cullis said:

"It was a professional performance today, and now our aim is to better our previous winning streak."

That challenge begins next Sunday 15th November when Wolves turn their attention to the Birmingham County Cup as they travel to Coundon Court in Coventry.

TEAM: Gardner, E.Cross, Perks, Widdal, Anslow, J.Cross, Quick, Luke, Sailsman (Davies), McQuilkin, Holden (James). SUB: Richards.

Click here to read more.

June 2018
May 2018
March 2018
February 2018
December 2017
November 2017
September 2017
August 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
December 2015
November 2015
View All
? Nearly time for kick off... @Wolfie_Official and Wendy are ready!? #wwfc @WolvesWomen @ManUtdWomen
? Both teams in preparation at @BTFC2007...? #wwfc @WolvesWomen @ManUtdWomen
.@WolvesWomen warming up for the big game - KO at 8pm? #wwfc @Wolves @QTechServices @ManUtdWomen @FAWSL
Supporters enter @BTFC2007 as we get ready for the @WolvesWomen friendly against @ManUtdWomen! #wwfc @Wolves
RT @WolvesWomen: Albrighton Girls U13's Our Mascot Winners for the Manchester Utd Under 19's @Wolves @QTechServices @WWLSC @BTFC2007 https:...
? Fancy a kickabout? Our ##PLKickssessions are running on various dates throughout the summer holidays - and…G

Registered Charity 1126799